Hamas says agreement to restore calm with Israel

Hamas says agreement to restore calm with Israel

The Israeli military has concluded that the militant Hamas group of Gaza fired two rockets toward the Israeli coastal city of Tel Aviv.

The army said that its targets had included an office complex in Gaza City used to plan and command Hamas militant activities, an underground complex that served as Hamas' main rocket-manufacturing site, and a center used for Hamas drone development.

The Israeli army said the Hamas is responsible for all events transpiring in the Gaza Strip and emanating from it. Palestinian media said naval bases belonging to the ruling Hamas group had been struck.

Tel Aviv and Rishon Lezion both announced they planned to open public shelters and reports from Gaza stated that Hamas had begun evacuating military posts, anticipating retaliatory strikes from Israel.

Israeli retaliatory airstrikes continued through early Friday while sirens warning of incoming projectiles from Gaza sounded in southern Israel.

Following the Israeli airstrike, several additional rounds of rocket fire were launched into Israel. Though the attack caused no damage or injuries, it was a significant escalation and set the stage for a tough Israeli reprisal.

Hebrew-language news outlets reported that locals heard loud explosions after three missiles were fired Thursday overnight at Tel Aviv City, in central Israel.

The strikes follow an emergency security consultation held by Prime Minister and Defense Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with his defense chiefs in Tel Aviv.

Rockets fired from Gaza target Tel Aviv for first time since 2014

The wave of violence in Gaza erupted on 3 December after a Hamas commander was killed in a covert Israeli operation.

Israeli analysts speculated that Palestinian militants opposed to any deal between Hamas and Israel were behind the missile attack. Israel and Egypt have maintained a crippling blockade on Gaza since Hamas took over the territory in 2007.

The attacks were taking place in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis, about 25 kilometers (15 miles) south of Gaza City. Four people were wounded, health ministry officials said.

The Israeli military said it was targeting "terror sites" in Gaza, but gave no further details.

Calm was restored by mid-morning as an Egyptian delegation mediated between Israel and Palestinian factions, a Palestinian official said.

Israel has accused Hamas, the terror organization that rules the Strip, of orchestrating the clashes and using them as cover to breach the border fence and carry out attacks.

It's a first since Israel's 2014 campaign in Gaza. The Iran-backed Al-Sabareen terrorist group in Gaza has yet to release an official statement following the rocket attacks.

"I suggest to Hamas, don't count on it", he told his Cabinet.

More news: Hammond in Brexit talks with DUP as government seeks support on deal

Related Articles