20 states aim to block Trump abortion rule

20 states aim to block Trump abortion rule

"Because of the administration's overreach and interference in health care decision making, physicians will be prohibited from having open, frank conversations with their patients about all their healthcare options", McAneny said.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum also announced Monday that she would lead 19 other states and the District of Columbia in a similar but separate lawsuit that is expected to be filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Eugene, Oregon.

"[The] new regulation protects low-income women who rely on Title X assistance because no funds will be cut from the program", she said, observing that women in need can receive family planning services at federally qualified health centers (FQHC), which outnumber abortion centers 20 to one. The referral restrictions are part of a broader, conservative shift by the administration, which has been blocked in court from undoing an Obamacare requirement that employers provide insurance coverage for contraception. It also requires family planning clinics receiving federal funds to be in a separate location and maintain separate finances from clinics that provide abortions.

California has the nation's largest Title X program, serving some 1 million patients annually - more than 25% of all Title X patients nationwide.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced Monday that the Democratic-led state will file a federal lawsuit seeking to block the Health and Human Services Department's new family planning rule.

The new rule specifically prohibits "referral for abortion as a method of family planning", but does not bar "nondirective counseling on abortion". Critics decried the policy as a "gag rule", while the president's conservative base cheered it. The states want a preliminary injunction to block the regulation, which would significantly reshape the program, from taking effect 60 days from now.

More news: Backed force expects 'decisive battle' against Islamic State

"Title X was meant to support access to health care and family planning services", James said.

"Neither is a good or fair option for women and families who often have no other access to medical care", she said.

Among those drawing up papers: Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson vowed to file suit.

"As the only federal program exclusively dedicated to providing low-income patients, including adolescents, with access to family planning and preventative health services and information, Title X plays a vital role in the fabric of America's family planning safety net", the letter said.

By defunding Planned Parenthood, the administration is directly impacting women from lower-income households. "The Trump-Pence Administration's sabotage of Title X services that millions of women across our nation rely on is not only irresponsible, it is unsafe to women's health". "It's unethical, and it flies in the face of the oath I took to care for my patients", Dr. Erin Berry said at a news conference last week. "We'll fight this attack on women's health in court".

A multistate suit is expected to be filed on Tuesday in OR, and the state of California filed its own separate court challenge against the federal government in San Francisco on Monday. "President Trump treats women and their care as if this were 1920, not 2019".

Related Articles