Chris Dawson arrested, expected to be charged with murder of Lynette Dawson

Chris Dawson arrested, expected to be charged with murder of Lynette Dawson

In recent months it has captivated the world after The Australian's investigative podcast series The Teacher's Pet, for which reporter Hedley Thomas and producer Slade Gibson won the Gold Walkley, Australian journalism's highest honour.

Commissioner Mick Fuller said police, who conducted several digs at the former Dawson family home in Bayview, on Sydney's northern beaches, wanted to find Lyn's body but said that it was "not crucial to finalising the matter".

After a career playing rugby league for the Newtown Jets, Chris Dawson worked as a P.E. teacher at Cromer High School.

The police chief added: "What is important to me was justice for Lynette Dawson and her family, and today is an important step forward in that".

"That information enabled New South Wales Police to get an arrest warrant for a 70-year-old man now living in Queensland", Fuller told reporters Wednesday.

He insisted he wasn't a flight risk and understood the allegations were serious - but the magistrate ruled in favour of police, and Mr Dawson spent last night at Southport Watchhouse awaiting his extradition to NSW.

Lynette Dawson disappeared in 1982.

Commissioner Fuller said police have not given up on finding her remains.

Just a few days later, he moved his schoolgirl lover into the family home.

"Just before 8am today, a 70-year-old Coolum man was arrested by detectives from the Queensland Police Service's Homicide Squad in the presence of Strike Force Scriven investigators at Biggera Waters, on the Gold Coast, in Queensland".

Police have been under fire over their handling of the case.

More news: Jurgen Klopp accepts 8 grand fine for Everton celebration

Meanwhile, Chris Dawson's family has released a statement proclaiming his innocence.

Police allege Mr Dawson was in the process of divorce from his wife and he was having an "illicit affair".

Nearly 40 years after Sydney mother Lynette Dawson disappeared, her husband spent his first night in police custody accused of her murder.

He had his head in his hands as the magistrate read out the police case, including allegations of domestic violence against his wife.

Mr Cowdery told the ABC's Australian Story the case against Mr Dawson was "weak" without a body.

Since Lynette's disappearance, Dawson claimed she had run away to life with a religious cult in a remote area of NSW.

"There is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and their daughters", they said in a statement.

Once he returns to NSW he will be formally interviewed by police, and is expected to be charged with her murder.

"A team of dedicated detectives has been investigating this case over the past three years", Det Supt Cook said.

Lyn's brother Gregg Simms said he was "quite emotional" when he heard of Mr Dawson's arrest this morning.

Earlier this week, the ODPP provided advice to police, and following further inquiries, detectives applied for an arrest warrant before travelling to Queensland, police said.

Related Articles