Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

A New Jersey resident has reportedly been infected by the "brain-eating amoeba", Naegleria fowleri while surfing in a wave pool at BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, according to a Waco Tribune-Herald report.

A surfer in the United States died of the extremely rare "brain-eating amoeba" just days after visiting a surf park.

.

Page organizer Stephanie Papastephanou wrote that while Stabile was mowing his lawn on the afternoon of Sunday September 16, he suddenly experienced a severe headache and went to lie down.

Stabile was immediately rushed to the hospital in Pleasantville, New Jersey, where doctors first believed his brain swelling and fever symptoms were caused by bacterial meningitis.

The Naegleria fowleri amoeba is a free-living amoeba found in warm freshwater ponds, lakes and rivers, which feeds on bacteria but can cause a lethal infection in humans.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told The Associated Press that the park is closed and is cooperating with the investigation into Stabile's death. As the diseases continues to attack the body it can lead to a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

More news: Leaked Footage of Google Pixel 3 Shows New AR Camera Features

The 29-year-old man died in New Jersey in September after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri.

On Thursday, he tested positive for Naegleria fowleri - an infection that has only affected 34 people between 2008 to 2017, according to the CDC.

"Preliminary testing results should be ready later this week".

Stabile had used the park's wave pool while on vacation, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald. He died the next day. "Overall he had a keen love for fishing", the post said.

In a statement it said: "CDC is testing water samples for Naegleria fowleri and will be working with the health department on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures".

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

Related Articles