Jogger detained for 2 weeks after accidentally crossing U.S.-Canada border

Jogger detained for 2 weeks after accidentally crossing U.S.-Canada border

Compared to the stream of horrors playing out near the U.S. -Mexico border, our northern boundary has been relatively quiet.

A French jogger who was visiting her mother in Canada and who claims to have accidentally crossed into the US from British Columbia ended up being detained for two weeks.

Roman, who lives in France, had been visiting her mother in nearby North Delta, British Columbia.

As Roman jogged up the coast May 21, she made a quick detour to avoid the incoming tide and then stopped to take a photo of the pretty scene.

Cedella Roman, 19, was held for two weeks in a US detention center after inadvertently crossing the Canada-US border while jogging along the beach.

"I told him I had not done it on goal, and that I didn't understand what was happening", she continued.

The Tacoma Northwest Detention Center is a privately run immigration prison that is run on behalf of the Department of Homeland Security.

Roman's mother then rushed to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Centre in a panic where her daughter was transferred, bringing with her Roman's passport and study permits.

The girl's mother said her daughter's arrest was unfair because she says there were no signs warning people of the worldwide border.

More news: Eurozone ministers agree on deal to bring Greece out of financial crisis

She hadn't seen any signs marking the border, she said.

A giant portal stands at the global border between the United States and Canada in Peach Arch Park, in Blaine, Wash., and White Rock, British Columbia, on August 14, 2002.

"They put me in the caged vehicles and brought me into their facility", Roman told CBC.

Two weeks passed before immigration officials in Canada and the United States were able to confirm that Roman was eligible to return to Canada. "They asked me to remove all my personal belongings with my jewelry", she said. Throughout it all, Ferne visited her daughter regularly at the centre.

Roman told CBC that she didn't have any documents with her during her jog. "It's like a trap. anybody can be caught at the border like this", she said. "We were locked up all the time and in the yard there was barbed wire and dogs", she said.

US government documents shared with CBC News confirm Roman was discharged from the USA on June 6 by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

According to a story published Friday by The Province, a six-meter divide through the trees called the "no touch zone" separates US and Canada, though there are a few exceptions. But neither the ICE nor Immigration Canada would comment further on the case, citing privacy concerns.

In a statement quoted in the CBC story, a U.S. Customs spokesperson said that Roman was "processed accordingly".

Related Articles