Lyon put an end to Nabil Fekir’s proposed transfer to Liverpool

Lyon put an end to Nabil Fekir’s proposed transfer to Liverpool

The two clubs had been discussing a deal for the playmaker worth 60m euros (£52.75m) - 55m (£48.35m) plus a maximum of 5m (£4.4m) add-ons.

He has won a place in the France World Cup squad for his performances, though Antoine Griezmann is set to be preferred to him in the starting XI for Saturday's final warm-up friendly against the USA.

Nabil Fekir is "optimistic" he will be able to complete a move from Lyon to Liverpool this summer and has had his medical ahead of the transfer, according to President of the French Football Federation Noel Le Graet.

Fekir was originally due to be confirmed as Liverpool's latest signing on Friday.

However, Lyon said on Saturday that talks about the potential transfer of their captain "had not succeeded".

"Transfer negotiations with Liverpool and Nabil Fekir for the transfer of the captain of OL have not succeeded and Olympique Lyonnais have chose to put an end to this negotiation tonight at 8pm", OL said in a statement on their official website.

More news: Kathleen Wynne ready to 'pass the torch,' quits as Ontario Liberal leader

Fekir scored 18 goals and made eight assists in the 2017/18 Ligue 1 season, but having assessed the player physically Liverpool are now stalling on finalising the transfer.

Lyon posted messages on social networking site Twitter making it clear that no deal has been agreed with with the Reds over the 24-year-old, who can also operate as a forward.

Speculation is swirling about why the deal has not been rubber-stamped.

Even though Lyon said joining Liverpool was Fekir's "priority", the seven-time French champion was "delighted" to count on him for next season.

Now we must wait and see if Liverpool and Klopp go back in for a player they have coveted so much.

Related Articles

  • Battlefield 5 Battle Royale Mode: DICE Discusses How It Happened

    Battlefield 5 Battle Royale Mode: DICE Discusses How It Happened

    The companies made this announcement at the EA Play event in Hollywood today as part of a reintroduction of Battlefield V to fans. Battlefield V , falling in line with every other game where guns are the focus, will have a battle royale mode .
    Bison gores woman in Yellowstone National Park

    Bison gores woman in Yellowstone National Park

    In 2017, there was only one incident at Yellowstone of a visitor being injured by a bison while 2015 saw five such incidents. Hancock and a crowd of people approached within 10 yards of the bison while walking along a boardwalk.
    USA Reaches Agreement with Chinese Telecommunications Co. ZTE

    USA Reaches Agreement with Chinese Telecommunications Co. ZTE

    The decision amounted to a death sentence to ZTE, which relies on USA parts and which announced that it was halting operations. Despite this new change, the Pentagon has still ordered all ZTE and Huawei phones to be removed from its military bases .
  • Times says Justice seized reporter's email, phone records

    Times says Justice seized reporter's email, phone records

    Wolfe appeared at the Maryland courthouse because he was arrested in that jurisdiction, but the case will proceed in Washington . According to the indictment , Wolfe lied about having had contact with the reporters between December 2015 and December 2017.
    Vienna possible venue for Trump-Putin summit

    Vienna possible venue for Trump-Putin summit

    Trump has said he'll use the summit to argue that the other six nations are taking advantage of the United States on trade. Trump will meet with Macron and Trudeau face-to-face on Friday. "I would say the relationship is a 10".
    Kushner and Kardashian Win Pardon For Alice Johnson

    Kushner and Kardashian Win Pardon For Alice Johnson

    Johnson's warden, case manager and vocational training instructor each wrote letters in support of her clemency. Her commutation is inspirational & gives hope to so many others who are also deserving of a second chance.
  • Afghan Taliban announces Eid ceasefire for first time

    Afghan Taliban announces Eid ceasefire for first time

    It wound down its combat mission in 2014 but its Resolute Support mission comprises nearly 16,000 troops from around 40 countries. It's the first time the militants have made such an offer, which comes days after the government declared its own ceasefire.
    Siri Shortcuts might let the voice assistant finally play nice with Spotify

    Siri Shortcuts might let the voice assistant finally play nice with Spotify

    Once you cross this threshold, iOS 12 will prevent you from launching this app, though you can always ignore this limit. The Stock app is getting a major upgrade and now lets users tap on certain stocks to get detailed information.
    Agent 47 is back in this first trailer for Hitman 2

    Agent 47 is back in this first trailer for Hitman 2

    Now two years later, IO Interactive could very well be teasing either another big content drop or even a proper sequel to Hitman . Of the six new locations, only Miami has been revealed so far, but the official HITMAN website has locked placeholders for more.
  • Saudi Arabia 'revisiting' policy on oil output cuts, India says

    Saudi Arabia 'revisiting' policy on oil output cuts, India says

    Brent crude LCOc1 rose 27 cents to $75.65 a barrel by 0412 GMT after dropping to its lowest since May 8 on Tuesday. The increase shows that lack of supply that is coming from OPEC crude relative to supply from US production.
    Respawn announces Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order for Xbox One and PC

    Respawn announces Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order for Xbox One and PC

    Players will control a Jedi in Fallen Order , but no indication was made as to specifically "who" they might be controlling. Star Wars: Fallen Jedi Order will showcase the time in which the Jedi are being hunted down by the evil Empire.
    Cristiano Ronaldo only targeting European clubs if he leaves Real Madrid

    Cristiano Ronaldo only targeting European clubs if he leaves Real Madrid

    Meanwhile, Real full-back Marcelo said he is hopeful of Neymar playing for the La Liga club and that that there is place for both the Brazilian striker and Ronaldo at the club.