Peru captain Paolo Guerrero to miss World Cup through increased drugs ban

Peru captain Paolo Guerrero to miss World Cup through increased drugs ban

Guerrero was subjected to an emotional roller-coaster after testing positive following the 0-0 draw in a qualifier away to Argentina in October.

The court said on Monday the ban had been extended six months and will be lifted in January, meaning the 34-year-old Flamengo man will miss the rest of this season, the World Cup and the first half of next season.

Guerrero, 34, tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, at a World Cup qualifier against Argentina in October of previous year.

However, CAS partially accepted an appeal from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) which had requested the sanction be increased to between one and two years.

Peru captain Paolo Guerrero has seen his World Cup dream crushed after having his doping ban lengthened. But his solicitors argued that the drug was not a performance-enhancing substance and had been ingested accidentally, by means of "contaminated tea". On Sunday he was named in his country's provisional squad preparing to play France, Denmark and Australia.

More news: United States senate committee agrees Russian Federation backed Donald Trump against Hillary Clinton

It said in a statement: "The Cas panel confirmed the existence of an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) committed by Mr Guerrero but also accepted that he did not attempt to enhance his performance by ingesting the prohibited substance".

Federation Internationale de Football Association initially suspended Guerrero for one year through November 3.

Guerrero - of Bayern Munich, Hamburg and Corinthians fame - is Peru's all-time leading goalscorer with a record of 32 strikes in 86 appearances. It reduced the ban in a fast-tracked appeal last December which clearing him to play at the World Cup.

"There is no reason for me to be suspended", he claimed after the match.

Related Articles