Michigan State agrees to pay Larry Nassar victims $500M in settlement

Michigan State agrees to pay Larry Nassar victims $500M in settlement

Michigan State University has agreed to pay $500 million to more than 300 women and girls who said they were assaulted by sports doctor Larry Nassar in the worst sex-abuse case in sports history, the university announced Wednesday.

The school will pay $425 million to the current victims and will hold $75 million for victims who may come forward but have yet to do so.

The chairman of Michigan State University's governing board says the school is "truly sorry" for what disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar's victims and families went through.

Trustee Brian Breslin says Michigan State recognizes the "need for change" when it comes to sexual assault awareness and prevention. Michigan State University, his former employer, argued it's immune as a state institution from being sued - and noted the statute of limitations on numerous cases had expired.

According to the Detroit Free Press, which broke the news, MSU now has to figure out where this money will come from, and how much its insurance providers will cover.

As a result of today's agreement between the attorneys representing 332 claimants and representatives from Michigan State, $425 million will be distributed to claimants who are now part of the lawsuits. Lawyers will also be compensated out of the $500 million pool.

Olympic gold medallist Aly Raisman gives a victim impact statement during Nassar's sentencing hearing
Olympic gold medallist Aly Raisman gives a victim impact statement during Nassar's sentencing hearing

The state criminal inquiry into the university has so far yielded charges against William Strampel, the former dean of the MSU medical college where Nassar practiced. This is a passion all of the Sister Survivors share, and one which has not diminished or changed.

Nassar pleaded guilty to molesting women and girls under the guise that it was treatment. Nassar, however, had unsupervised access to girls' dormitory rooms. Since that time, even more accusers have stepped forward, which accounts for the larger number of people covered by the Michigan State agreement. He assaulted females at his campus clinic, Lansing-area home, area gyms and major gymnastics events.

The revelations of the long-running abuses sparked investigations into possible abuse at U.S. athletic federations and schools by Congress and the U.S. Department of Education, and led to the resignation of the entire USA Gymnastics board.

USA Gymnastics reported Nassar to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in July 2015, but he continued to see patients at the university until a newspaper exposed him in September 2016.

"I'm very happy that we're done with litigation", said former gymnast Rachael Denhollander, the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse more than 18 months ago.

Five former gymnasts, including two who say Nassar abused them at the Karolyis' ranch near Huntsville say Texas authorities have focused on Nassar while overlooking whether the Karolyis could have prevented abuse.

More news: Mike Phelan: Jose Mourinho not replacing Rui Faria a gamble

Related Articles